Saturday, December 22, 2012

Happy Holiday

little humming bird figure, atop holiday flowers
 Holidays have caught me so busy this year, I have been way behind on posting to this blog, and nearly everything else.   This year we have had a series of mini holiday get togethers with (some of) our grown children and other family members here in Australia.  It was nice to declare December a Holiday Tour sort of month.

Which makes this a quiet time now to enjoy the season.  I don't even have the tree up yet (today's list).  But the cards are out (maybe a bit of a delayed dispatch).  I was at the Barossa Farmer's Market this morning, at 730AM when they opened and got a big market bag full of stunning raspberries, farm fresh eggs, locally roasted coffee, jersey cow thick cream, organically grown garlic, fresh herbs, and my favourite golden yellow Roma tomatoes.  I was out in 15 minutes and back home (for a work meeting, amazing, but true--such is working world hours from this side of the globe !)  Our cooking will be simple and fresh this coming week.

Gorgeous flowers from Viva, displayed in glass cases
with old sterling and mercury glass
The thing that really signals to me it is now Christmas is to arrange some Christmas flowers.  I've always enjoyed this, but it probably has become more important for my southern hemisphere holiday celebration, given sunny weather and not always chilly enough to do rich baking.

I collected my stunning flowers from Viva Flower Store in Angaston just before midday.  This year I did not order any particular thing, but they knew I would be calling in to pick my flowers up.  They know I can't have any lilies, because Winston is a flower grazer (and lilies are very poisonous to cats).  I looked longingly at deep scarlet coloured Amaryllis in the shop, but a quick search on google confirmed they too are toxic to pussy cats.  I just cant risk it, he is a bit naughty around flowers and its a fair bit of trouble to keep them away from him.  Thankfully, Viva's owner Avril had put aside a stunning selection for me.  Rosey hydrangeas.  Pinky lisianthus that matched and some lime green pompom ball looking flowers on long stems whose name I don't know.  I added branches of green and gold coloured holly greens to the flowers and brought it all home to arrange.  With some holiday music in the background.

The finished arrangements are stunning and I snapped photos of them to share here.  Arranged on a greeny-gold hand sewn quilted table runner.  And some old sterling candle holders of my grandmothers, with the natural beeswax taper candles I love in them.  And mercury glass ornaments for extra glow and shine.  Plus cute little hummingbird ornaments that usually go on the tree, but look so cute sitting atop the flowers !

roast turkey, settling before carve up
 Now, it feels like the holidays are here.

Last weekend we roasted a turkey when Katy visited, as part of the December Holiday tour (she flew in from Sydney).  Turned out to be the best turkey I have ever made.  A fab recipe from the latest/current issue of Australian Gourmet magazine, Turkey with Cornbread stuffing.    The Cornbread stuffing was amazingly good too.  I made very few adjustments to either it or turkey recipe, and we all thought the finished meal was really great !


Cheers Katy !
 

It was fabulous having Katy here, for a weekend visit.  We did lots of holiday things...though with out a tree up.

Katy has full attention of Winston
and Maggie
She got some feline helpers while wrapping up gifts too.  The cats love ribbons, and quickly positioned themselves close by, so they could play with ribbon streamers being put on some packages.






The bright red standard
floribunda rose in
front garden

Our roses have had a jolly hurrah, though in the past week looking a bit tired of the run of hot days we are getting each week (over 35 C)  Here is the gorgeous red standard one in front, when it was at its full bloom best.










Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it.  Hope you enjoy a happy holiday break :)

No comments:

Post a Comment